Monday, July 23, 2007

KRS-ONE and Marley Marl - Hip Hop Lives



THIS ALBUM IS EPIC. Enough said. Stop reading right now and go out and BUY this album.

Hip Hop Lives is a response to Nas' Hip Hop is Dead. KRS and Marley Marl team up, ending a feud from 20 years ago. Marley Marl was part of the Juice Crew and KRS part of BDP, two crews that started what is said to be the first "hip hop beef." Marley Marl is an excellent producer revolutionizing hip hop by being the first to use James Brown samples in his beats. KRS-ONE is the best MC ever in my opinion.

This album lives up to it's name, proving to all that Hip Hop is far from dead. The title track is the direct response to Nas' track, but it also describes what hip hop is to KRS. It explains that hip hop isn't music it is much more, it is an intelligence movement. "Nothing New" is a song about new rappers coming on to the scene doing the same thing as everyone else. It also contains my favorite line from the album: "If rap was a toilet, I would of already shitted." "I was there..." is a song to all the Hip Hop historians who tell the story of Hip Hop from things they hear, not from things they saw. "Musika" is my least favorite track, the production is amazing, I love the trumpet but I guess it is the rapping in Spanish, which i am not a fan of. "Rising to the Top" is probably my favorite track off this album. It is a song about KRS's beginnings and how Mr. Magic turned him down, and told him that his songs were whack but he continued making songs and turned into the best MC around. The production on this song is amazing, it shows off the talent of Marley Marl and proves that this duo is one of the best one you'll hear ever. "Over 30" is a song to all the older people of hip hop showing the world that age can't stop greatness. "Kill A Rapper" is a song for all the MCs who were killed and the cops did nothing to solve the case. It brings up many good points. "The Teacha's Back" is another one of my favorites, make sure you have the bass turned up all the way for this one. This song most be so awesome live, one of these days I will see him, it'd be nice if he was playing at Rock the Bells.

I really hope I don't have to tell you anymore. GO OUT AND BUY THIS CD RIGHT NOW! Don't just download it, or burn a copy BUY IT. I doubt you will listen to a better album this year.

No comments: