Monday, July 23, 2007

I Am Not I Am - Dear God, We Must Return Fire




My first American band! I Am Not I Am is a fairly new band on the scene with only a single 5 song EP under their belt. When i first saw this band I was kind of driven away by the fact that they are a Christian band, but surprisingly they are not trying to shove god into every one of their songs and they make pretty decent jamz.

The album starts of with Troy Cash belting "THE CONFEDERATES HAVE ABOLISHED ME" and then continues with a song about a Southern soldier in a post-Civil War era. The song blew me away, especially for a Christian band. The Album continues with it's Post-Civil War songs in "The Real Reason The South Lost The Civil War", a some what less chaotic song with more melodic singing then the last track. "The District" comes on next, and is my favorite track on the album. It is so damn catchy, I often find my myself on my knees randomly crying out "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!" and the guitar work on it is superb. Next on is "We Want Our Ashes Spread In Jersey" which is my least favorite track. Personally I think they should of just dropped the song from the EP, it would of made it a lot better. I feel this song is the only flaw on the whole album. Vocabularies is the final track on the album, it is my second favorite. The drums on it are so awesome, it blows me away, even if it is nothing super talented, I still catch myself pretending to play the drums to this song.

Overall good album. Even if you aren't Christian (I'm not) you still might like this band. If I am not mistaken they have gone on "break" and I don't think it is going to be a short one. But do give this band a try.


No comments: